Making sustainable fashion choices has become critical. As consumers, it’s up to us to support ethical practices that not only protect the environment but also workers. But, while making sustainable choices, we are also making economical ones as we move away from the consumerism fast fashion fad. Instead, the aim is to buy good quality and long lasting fashion that doesn’t need replacing after a few washes or as the fad fades, helping both the planet and our pockets. And this is what we need as the cost of living takes its toll on every inch of our buying power – a capsule wardrobe of classic and quality clothing that transcend trends and withstand the test of time.
When it comes to sustainable fashion, cashmere stands out as an ideal choice. But how does cashmere embody the values of conscious consumption?
- Natural and Renewable: Cashmere is derived from the fine fibers of the cashmere goat, a sustainable and renewable resource. The goats graze on natural pastures, contributing to the preservation of grasslands and biodiversity.
- Longevity and Durability: Cashmere garments are renowned for their durability. With proper care, they can last for decades, reducing the need for frequent replacements and minimising waste, as well as saving us money on excess, low quality clothing purchases that end up in landfill. Additionally, Linea Azzurro 100% cashmere is machine washable – another eco saving!
- Insulating Properties: Cashmere's exceptional insulating properties allow us to stay warm in colder climates while also wearing lightweight garments. They also keep you cool in warmer weather thanks to its light and breathable fibres, making it a perfect transitional fashion item to support you through the cost of living.
- Ethical and Fair: Sustainable cashmere production adheres to strict guidelines that prioritise the welfare of cashmere goats and the livelihoods of herders. It ensures fair wages, safe working conditions, and promotes responsible herding practices. At Linea Azzurro we promise traceable yarn, from goat to garment – something you should look for to ensure environmental and social factors have been considered.
- Classic and timeless: Cashmere is a perfect fashion staple to have in your wardrobe as it is always on trend. A classic to dress up or down you cannot go wrong with a timeless cashmere knit. With cashmere you can be sure you’re not overspending on a fast fashion fad.
When we compare fast fashion, known for its rapid production, disposable nature, and its excessive consumption of resources – water pollution, and excess landfill waste – it is easy to see why cashmere is the more sustainable and environmentally friendly choice, supporting a healthier planet and society.
Read more on how to care for your cashmere.